Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentines 2011

For the past few Valentine's Days, Roy and I have either gone out to eat and waited in huge lines or waited until the kids went to bed and then had a LATE meal alone. This year, I decided to start a new tradition--throw a Valentine's Ball at home, with a homemade meal at a normal time and with all of my Valentines! I put on a little Frank Sinatra and got the party started...

I made everyone dress up for our shin-dig. Caroline was really into this! RoyBoy's shirttail was untucked and the sports coat was off in a flash.



I broke out the nice china, silver and crystal for the occasion. It was actually a good chance to teach the kids about how to use it and correct manners for eating at a nice restaurant, etc. One child was really interested, one could have cared less.



On the menu was Beef Wellington, heart shaped smashed potatoes and a side salad. See the nice card my sweet husband had for me? That is the only thing I ever want for V-Day or anniversaries...just a sweet note telling me what I mean to him:) He did good and I was very appreciative:)


Now for dessert, I made chocolate lava cakes by Musing Foodie's Catherine. These were so easy to make and very good, but very rich! I was impressed! (See my Starbucks giftcards from my nice, little children?! I will enjoy these very much.).




Sweet Charlotte was content as could be in the kitchen kicking to Frank's music. I love this girl so much! She is such a sweetheart girl!



Hmmmm.....I wonder where Roy Austin sat?




Me and my Valentine and our baby. Caroline took the picture:)


After dinner, we did a little dancing....




I'm thinking this will be a yearly tradition for our family. It was fun and dinners at home are always the best!! When Caroline was going upstairs to get ready for bed she said, "This has been the best Valentine's Day ever!".

10 comments:

Denise said...

I was really hoping you would post about your Valentine dinner.....thank you. What a nice event, and a nice tradition to start for your family. Next year little Charlotte will be able to join in on the fun instead of laying on the floor kicking her feet to Frank Sinatra. The pictures say it all....you had a wonderful time, and, as usual, you went out of your way to make your little family happy and have a memorable time. Our little MS!!!!

Janis Reber said...

Hey....for some reason my comment came in under Denise's name. How did that happen? This is your old mom!!!

Dolly said...

Are you kidding me? Your dinner looked so yummy. It made me tired just looking at all you made. Good for you Donna! I'm laughing at where RA sat. And little Lotte is SO CUTE!!! That's sweet that Caroline said it was the best Vday. She'll have great memories of Vday with her family. Good job Donnie!

Denise said...

Okay first of all I am SO confused! Did someone hack into my account and comment. I didn't leave that comment at the top of the comments list! Very weird!

Anyway, Donna ONLY you would do something like this. I am happy for you! You make your family life so fun and exciting. Your children are going to love all the memories you make for them!

CC said...

I'm so excited the lava cakes turned out for you! They are rich. Looks like you had the perfect v-day! Congrats on a perfectly executed ball. : )

Unknown said...

awwwwww. this makes me smile and brings tears to my eyes. how sweet. i love the pics of C & RA2 dancing! RAs future wife is gonna be one lucky girl b/c he is going to learn from his mommy how to pull out alllll the stops for her--dinner, dancing, manners! Goooood job, Donnie. YOU are a good mommy!

The Goldsmith's Gazette said...

I too started that tradition with my kids when they were your children's ages and they love it even to this day. Only we cut out lots of red paper hearts and write on them the things we love about our family! The only thing we do not do is get really dressed up. I may try that next year. Last night, Madde was helping me with it and said she loves this every year. So keep it up!

Teecy said...

What a great idea! I love this.
You are sweet and creative mom!

Momofgirls said...

You are a wonderful Mommy and wife, Donna. The memories you are creating for your family are absolutely priceless! Keep being creative and making times special, you will not believe how quickly your children will grow up! You will also, NEVER regret making an effort to create fun memories! I adore the calls I get from Shae telling me that she misses my cooking, and my decorations for holidays!

I LOVE to eat at home too... the crowds, the chaos, the $$$, all make me appreciate eating in the coziness of my own kitchen. This year Scott's parents came over and ate with us because they couldn't get reservations anywhere...and it was a hit!

I LOVE that you all dressed for dinner and danced! Precious memories, I tell ya!

Christian Carroll Stewart said...

So sweet! What great memories! You should definitely make that a tradition!